Saturday, December 09, 2006

Wow, I am not really sure where to start, it has been quite a while since I have written anything. There is good reason though, the largest storm in the past five years blew in over thanksgiving, so i have been stuck out in my site for almost a month without leaving. Although that might not sound like a long tiume it is, actually it is fairly rare for a volunteer to stay in site a month at a time. Most people take a break about every three weeks and some much more often than that. But it was a really good thing for me to be out there that long, i made some rather large strides in the construction of my house. I am learning alot about carpentry, at leasts the very basics because we dont have much in the way of tools to work with. I am pretty much building it by myself, i have help from some people when the wander up the hill to see what i am doing,

so they will hold a board in place for me if i need it or they will hold the level. But other than that i am doing on my own, it is a pretty awesome feeling building my own house with my bare hands. All i have for tools are: a hammer, hand saw, level, square, machete and nails. But as you can see from the pictures it is going well, i am amost finished with the skeleton and am ready to put the boards up, all i have to do is wait one more week to let them dry so they dont crack. The picture that you see below is when i had a junta (day of work), i bought ten pounds of fish and a bunch of rice and lentils and we carried wood all morning till it was done and then we had
fish fry in the afternoon. There were actually more people than are in the picture but they hadnt made it up the trail of about a mile and a half through the jungle. Anyways all that has been a great experience.










The next picture that you see is of the site right next to mine, it is about a thirty minute row on a nice day. The guy that lives there is from Louisiana (huge LSU fan), it is nice to have a fellow SEC fan next door because we talk alot SEC football. I row over there is my canoe about once a week to take a load off and have a few drinks because there is a place there that sells really cold brews, which is really nice after a week of carrying wood and working on my house.














The next photo is of a community that i have been assigned to work





4 Comments:

At 11:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely amazing! I am looking forward to seeing your house when it is finished, in person.
Jeff will be happy to know that it's only half an hour to the nearest brew. He might want to stay longer.
It was great talking with you.
Love,
Mom

 
At 6:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

FELIZ NATAL!!!!!!!! e um ANO NOVO MARAVILHOSO!!!
Que Deus te abençõe muitao!!
bjusss,
Adriana Carvalho

 
At 12:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas from Grandma and Aunt Connie!

 
At 10:08 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Jack!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home