Monday, December 26, 2005

And then God created high speed internet, but he forgot about Bangladesh. I am in Dhaka using the internet (dial up), it feels like high speed internet compared to what I am used to. I don’t even have to bring a book to use this internet, now all I need is a good magazine. I hope everyone had a nice white Christmas, we had a some snow on the ground. No wait that was the ashes from the burning trash. it was cold last night so a bunch of people gathered up trash and burned it, it almost smelled like chestnuts roasting over an open fire. I am sorry if I am freaking people out about the situation here, I am just calling it like I see it. I will try and steer clear of the morbid blogs from now on. I will try to focus on the happy things that are going on. For instance, my host family said that i get to participate in the sacrifice of animals on Korbani Eid (January 13th or 14th), this is exciting. I think they are going to get me my own goat to sacrifice, I plan on getting some good video footage of this event. I have never sacrificed an goat before, I have witnessed it though, it is a pretty wild experience. I don’t know many people that have done that back home, so this should be one for the books.

The girl that lives next door keeps bringing me food, it is starting to make me a little nervous. I just cant say no, the food is soooooo good. She brings me fresh bread like foods in the morning and rice pudding in the evening, this is about two or three times a week. So sat down with her, her family and my family and explained that my mother has already arranged my marriage back home, and that the dowry has already been paid so there is nothing that I can do. they completely understood, so now they all want to buy clothes for my wife to be. I told them to hold off on buying the clothes, I told them to wait until it was time for me to leave. I cant even imagine trying to explain that to an American family, they would think I was a wacko. I still get the food, but it is not under the pretense that I will marry her, now it is because I am a son in the family.

Besides goat sacrifices and arranged marriages things are going alright for me, in a few days I am going to meet the president. I am not sure what that will amount to but it should interesting. it will probably consist of him being in awe of how tall I am and then him asking me if I am married, which will prompt me to give him the previously stated answer.

I am going to start something called the question of the month, this will be the weirdest question that I have received over the past month. Although i have been asked this question before, it is definitely the best for this month.

My host mother asked me this: “Who is your mothers favorite Professional wrestler in the WWF?”

My answer of course was “Rick Flair,” and for your information my host mothers is “The Rock”

(this was while we were watching wrestling as a family, I didn’t have the heart to tell her that it wasn’t real and that my mother doesn’t watch wrestling.)

4 Comments:

At 11:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think its has been very interesting keep it up.
Happy New Year

 
At 11:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was Gale by the way, I haven't figgered this out yet

 
At 7:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

DEFINITELY get the goat video.
Dad

 
At 5:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess I'd better study up on Rick Flair if we're going to visit you. Mom

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home