Monday, October 31, 2005

well i guess that I am officially a volunteer now. We did our swearing in ceremony yesterday in the American Embassy. Our embassy is really nice, it is like a fortress. I guess now I can get started on what I came here to do, after three long months. It is pretty exciting as well as nerve racking, because now I have to go out and hack it in the back woods of Bangladesh. This is going to be a real test.
Glad to know that people are reading this, it makes it worth while to sit in the hot internet cafe. We were given a weekend in Dhaka for fun, we were all left up to our own devices. It was pretty fun to wander around one of the largest cities in south asia. This place is pretty wild, you can really fill all of your hearts desires in a place like this. Even though it is still Muslim, you wouldnt know it walking around the city. Sometimes though it is a little nerve racking to wander around Dhake at night. Some of the people are pretty scary looking or at least they are people that I am not interested to talk to. In some places the beggars are really bad, I mean bad, it really makes you feel bad inside when there is a little boy leading his father around asking for money. The thing is though is that his father was blind and missing both of his arms. The problem is that if you give one person the money they all want money.
As far as packages go I know that sara sent a package some time ago but it still hasnt arrived, but who knows. Right now it is like christmas time, it is insane in the post offices. Anyways moms package made it here now problem, it wasnt even opened. I even had a hard time opening it.
Update on the elephants, they have found a certain plant that the elephants cross. So now they are trying to surround some of the villages with this plant. Who knows how well it works, it really sounds like the elephants like the wine, so I dint think that there is much you can do to stop them.
One more thing, I took my first hot shower in three months, it felt so nice. After that I ate a pizza and then had an ice cream cone. And then I had a cold beer, and then slept in the air conditioning. It was amazing how much I enjoyed the things that I took for granted back home.

shada shoitan signing off.

3 Comments:

At 3:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

 
At 11:01 AM , Blogger Sara said...

Wow. That package is going to be old news by the time you get it, if you get it. Your birthday was over a month ago. And I sent it about 7 weeks ago. Maybe I'll try again soon. I'd better send it now if I want it to get there by christmas though.

 
At 9:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jack, keep on posting, I'm reading every one
Dad

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home